Saturday 8 January 2011

new years resolutions...

Well, not resolutions really, just maybe's...

I am a 44 year old mother of three, married at 20 to the man I met when I was 16. Generally, life has plodded on in an ok but rather unstoppable way and much of it I would not wish any differently.

We still get on reasonably well, most of the time, we have three great grown up boys, who are beginning to find their own feet in the world, we are both working and although we still seem to have to scrap around each month to juggle money, we get by.

But...for some time now, I have been struggling with a feeling that there is a bit more to life...I have spent the last 24 years being wife, mother, daughter, employee, friend...and I'm not sure I can remember who or what I am!

In reality, I think I took on all those 'essential' roles so early, I'm not sure I ever found out who I was first. I just thought I was very grown up and responsible and life rolled on.

So...this blog is an opportunity for me to try to make some sense of my life, see if I can value things a bit more and try to look at myself a bit more objectively to see if I like what I see. I don't care if anyone reads it or not - I just want to be able to look back and remind myself of what I was feeling at a given point throughout the year.

Resolutions then! Like I said, not really resolutions, somehow those are always disappointing, more a list of likes, hopes and dreams:-

Things I love and want to do more of this year:

  1. Climbing to the top of mountains
  2. Walking on windswept winter beaches
  3. Feeling the sun on my skin
  4. Listening to beautiful music
  5. Laughing with friends
  6. Fresh flowers
  7. Creating things, especially if they are colourful and make me happy
  8. Getting lost in a good book
  9. A good glass of wine
  10. Lovely food
  11. Visiting new places


Things I need/want to do this year:

  1. Get fitter again! (how have I ended up doing so little exercise?!!)
  2. Finish some of my 'WIPs' (another list coming on...)
  3. Learn new things...no 1 being how to make this blog look more enticing and how to put photos on!
  4. Finish my masters...it will be worth it in the end I'm sure...
  5. Get better at balancing work and home
  6. Finally getting on top of our finances


WIPs:

  1. Big crochet ripple blanket - just started to use up stash of stylecraft DK wool, not too sure about this yarn yet but have large bag of lovely colours and ripple seemed the way to go!
  2. Cross stitch picture - bought for me by himself several years ago and never finished (sshhh! don't tell anyone, but I've never liked the picture and have no idea what I will do with it if I ever finish it!)
  3. Toe down socks - got a book for christmas with fun patterns for 2 at a time socks on circular needles. Have bought some yarn but the patterns are a bit of a challenge and need concentration time!
  4. Patchwork - some I started age 7 and will probably never finish (7 year old hand sewing, commendable yes but neat? No!) but last year i bought some lovely fabrics that are begging to be made into something.
That seems like enough lists to be going on with! I am going to try to check back her every so often and see how I am doing and hopefully post a pic or two along the way!

Sx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love to read your thoughts.