Thursday 9 June 2011

summer rain...

I love the rain in summer. I love the smell in the air just before and I even like walking out in it (unless I'm going somewhere important where arriving drenched is not a good look!). Does that make me a bit odd?!

Last weekend we had one bright sunny day and the one intermittent showery kind of day. It wasn't especially warm so maybe I wouldn't have wanted a long walk in it but I did have a bit of a wander round the garden taking pictures of the drops caught on the plants - husband thinks I am one step away from the funny farm...

We haven't had nearly enough rain in this part of the country and everything is still pretty dry so I was enjoying it with the plants!

Sweet peas outside the back door...


Spinach - I am loving being able to just step out of the door and pick fresh spinach immediately before using it...



Pretty nasturtium leaves...


Drops clinging to the rowan tree branches...


Can't remember the name of this plant? Grows like a weed in my garden...


The first flush of aquilegias have been and gone but the leaves are still pretty...


Fresh looking 'applets'...



And, finally, not for the rain but just for the hell of being purple! Loving the delphiniums that even with not much rain are as tall as me...


So many people really don't get enough rain and I think we take it for granted a bit, when it makes such a difference to how lush and green our gardens are. 

But sunshine at the weekend would be nice! ;-)

Til next time

Sx

4 comments:

  1. Would you believe I have sweet peas flowering and it is winter, I also have nasturtiums flowering too. I grew spinach a couple of seasons back and I loved it too. You have a very pretty garden.
    x Sandi
    I'm too wimpy to go walking around in cold rain :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you've made the rain look beautiful, I agree, i know Ireland would def not be the emerald isle without the rain. Have a sweet weekend
    Karen :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those photos are stunning. It's raining here today so I really should put a Mac on & get snapping raindrops on leaves !
    I have that plant too - is it a type of hypericum ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Think you might be right Penny, hypericum rings a bell...! x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love to read your thoughts.