Monday 18 July 2011

Festival fun...

I am a bit of a latecomer to festivals. I don't really remember that they were something that Most People went to when I was younger - at least not most people that I knew. And certainly not something my parents would ever have wanted to do. I suspect they still think that festivals are for Young People or ageing hippies - neither of which I can claim to be!

But having discovered them, I love the atmosphere and the chance to experience new music. I love the slightly eccentric nature of festivals - with people (who probably have 'normal' boring jobs in the real world) donning crazy clothes or hats or makeup.

This weekend is Latitude festival in Suffolk.


We didn't go for the whole weekend this year - just for the day on Saturday. Although there is something to be said for being a part of the whole experience, I have to admit to being glad to have had a dry house to come home to given the amount of rain we've had in the last couple of days. And don't even get me started on festival toilets...!

It was seriously muddy in places this year, wellies more of an essential than an optional extra...


The skies were grey and the flags were flying in a brisk breeze...


But that didn't stop everyone having a good time! Latitude is not just about music - there are literature and poetry tents, outdoor theatre and art, comedy, cabaret and all sorts of random stuff happening across the site.

In the woods, the paper sculptures seemed to be holding up reasonably well...


(that is the path at the bottom of the picture!)

...there was some funky woolly art...


...and blue-lit trees...


And the bands were great. Bellowhead are a contemporary English folk band that wowed the crowd with foot stomping, exciting music that even got the small people on shoulders clapping and waving...


One of the nice things about festivals is just stumbling across something new - we saw The Raghu Dixit Project in the tent in the woods; an Indian band mixing traditional folk sounds with up beat rhythms that rocked the tent and had everyone jumping! Hoping to see them again in Norwich soon! And was very impressed by Ed Sheeran, originally from Suffolk and just hitting the big time, who gave an assured and confident performance of his own songs and a breathtaking version of 'The Wayfaring Stranger'.

I am a big fan of this man...


Paolo Nutini was headlining on the main stage and did not disappoint, with a great mix of old and new songs that had everyone singing and dancing in spite of the rain. I love love loved this performance!!!

There were plenty of people sporting de rigueur fashion...


....marquees across the field...


...and community knitting!


Latitude is renowned for being about appreciating words as well as music and this young lad was engrossed in his book between bands...

(apologies for the blurry photo, the light was poor and I was being chivvied into the middle of the tent but couldn't resist snapping this as it made me smile!)

Also making me smile was giant bubble blowing...


And more bubbles..!



I love bubbles!!! I love the colours and patterns in them, their strength and fragility as they seem to escape away into the sky - I don't think I shall ever outgrow them! And I loved watching the faces of the kids  chasing them or floating them up at unsuspecting adults!

And the sun finally came out!


Best start saving for next year!

Sx

2 comments:

  1. Truly a wonderful summer tradition, that you have captured so nicely here!
    Have a wonderful start to your week Sandra!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a really, really interesting festival - I wish I lived nearer! Pleased you had a good time despite (or because of?) the mud xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love to read your thoughts.