Wednesday 22 February 2012

randomness...

versatile_blogger.jpg


OK, I decided today I should really get around to posting the random things about myself as instructed in the Versatile Blogger awards... I am very happy that people enjoy reading my little bit of mithering and pleased (and mildly embarassed!) to have been given this award twice in the space of a few days. So in the spirit of the award 'rules' (have already mentioned before how I feel about Rules...!) thanks very much to Shelley and Helen for their nominations...

The bossy rules are...
  1. Add the award to your blog
  2. Thank the person who gave you the award
  3. List the rules on your blog
  4. Share 7 random things about yourself
  5. Nominate 15 other bloggers
  6. Inform these 15 by commenting in their blogs
So having complied with the first 3 (I'm really much too conventional to not do as I'm told - most of the time...!) here goes with the randomness...

1. I wish I could wear hats. I see people in these funky hats and wish I had the head/hair/face to carry them off. I don't. I do have a few hats and in cold weather in the interests of warmth I do venture out in one. But I look a muppet. Always have and probably always will.

Image 'borrrowed' from here
2. I can't bear cockles/winkles/snails etc There is not much I won't eat and generally speaking I'll try anything at least once. But anything that has to be coaxed out of its shell with a pin and/or seems to have integral grit (yuk!) seems to be saying to me 'I'm not people food'! Even with liberal coatings of vinegar/garlic/butter/sauce... There are plenty of really yummy things to eat...

3. I am a closet poetry lover. Have always enjoyed poetry - even spent some time in my teens writing tortured angst laden stuff (doesn't everyone?!) which was truly awful and I really hope I've managed to destroy it all. God forbid that my poor kids should come across that one day... I have a particular soft spot for the miserable stuff - you know, the war poets, that kind of thing. Nothing quite like a bit of tragedy for bringing out creative genius. Not quite sure what this says about me...?!

4. As a teenager, I read pretty much all the Agatha Christie books. Formulaic - yes, bit dated - yes, but a good read and you have to admire the woman's work ethic. And for my birthday this year, a lovely friend has bought tickets to go to see The Mousetrap in London. Can't wait!

5. I have an irrational fear of tunnels. The sort you drive through. Hate them. Not quite sure why other than I think they make me feel a bit claustrophobic. I think it might be something to do with the fact that there's nowhere to go if someone else does something stupid. If you are on an open road and some idiot pulls out in front of you, you can swerve away. Not easy in a tunnel. Although, to be fair, I've had plenty of occasions when scary things have happened on the open road and none that I can recall in a tunnel. I've probably over-analysed this. See, irrational.

6. I have the most appalling sleeping habits. Or rather inability to sleep. I have always been a light sleeper and not needed loads of sleep. But, for years I've not managed very much more than 3-4 hours per night. I've tried every which way to get round this - going to bed early/late, stopping drinking coffee/eating late, little drop of something 'medicinal'/no alcohol, evening routine - bath, book etc... None of which seems to make a blind bit of difference. If I go to bed early and manage to get off to sleep, I will wake in the wee small hours, if I stay up to the early hours I will still be awake by 6. Mostly I get by, sometimes it catches up with me and I feel rubbish, have a migraine and have to sleep for several hours during the day. It has wiped a few Saturdays out over the years!


7. I have no cousins. My parents were both 'only children' so not only no cousins but, obviously, no aunts and uncles either. I have always slightly felt I've missed out on something. Which is probably why I love that my sons have good relationships with my sisters, brothers-in-law and their cousins. And I love being an auntie - special bond with those children that I can't explain even to myself.


So thats it! Hope you have not nodded off yet...


And now the really tricky bit. I have to pass this on to 15 other bloggers. 15! Eek! The trouble is I look at a whole lot of blogs, some I follow regularly, some I just come across and enjoy. I've kind of stopped adding extra ones to follow in the interest of my life not being completely swallowed up by reading everyone's posts so I'm not even sure that some I would nominate I could easily find just now.


But these are some I do look at regularly and enjoy... and to all of these people, if blog awards are not your thing then feel free to pass this by. To be honest, I have decided I'm not going to do it again so I really won't be offended! And if I have missed anyone whose blogs I visit and commented on, please don't be offended either! There are so many I enjoy and my brain can only cope with looking at a list and picking a few...

  1. Apples and Pears - Andrea's blog is full of colour, crochet and lovely photos
  2. Baa-me-kniits - Jenny's blog is a little snapshot of her family life, with a bit of crafty stuff thrown in
  3. Chaos, Kids, Crochet and Cake - its all in the name really! Great photos (and I am just a little bit envious of where Sandra lives...!)
  4. Crochet with Raymond - just gorgeous woolly colour, and a 'proper' cat!
  5. Everday Life - Lyn takes lovely photos and shares her crafty makes (are you getting a theme here?!)
  6. Grateful 4 Crochet - this blog always makes me smile
  7. Little Tin Bird - I'm sure one of everyones favourites, Heather takes lovely photos and does some beautiful crochet and writes in a really 'welcoming' kind of way - if that makes any sense at all...
  8. Sandiart's Blog - Sandi is a lovely lady, who has inspired me at times!
Oh, I'm really sorry but I think thats about all I can manage! There are loads of great blogs out there - I could nominate a whole lot more, but this is taking forever and I'm on reserve battery now! So time to switch off and get on with my day. Thanks again, but no more awards please...! I'm happy just to read your comments :-)

Til next time
Sx



PS Forgot to say, thanks so much for all your kind words after my last post, clearly family pets mean a lot to all of us! xx

10 comments:

  1. Thankfully I pretty much passed over writing appalling poetry, except when required at school, but I do love a miserable morbid piece to read. My favourite poem is Porphyria's Lover, off the top of my head I can't remember who wrote it, but it is all about a woman who is murdered by her lover so no one else could ever have her. Isn't love grand?!
    xXx Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never wrote angst poetry but did keep a five year diary through my teens ( really hope I destroyed it ! ) Must admit when we lived in Spain I DID eat snails but wouldn't now. I can't wear hats either - tried one warm one on in a shop & exclaimed that I looked like Deputy Dawg. Jess looks annoyingly pretty in hats. We has a trying on session of fancy hats in John Lewis for fun.
    I'm awake from four am ish & finally get back about six only to be woken at 6.45 by husband's alarm clock.
    Enjoy Moustrap !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god! I kept a diary too! Have no idea what happened to that...! Feel a furtive trip back to the 'old house' loft coming on!! x

      Delete
  3. That was a fun read, I don't really like tunnels either. I hated going under the Channel on the train, give me the boat anytime :-) Hasn't Mousetrap been showing for years and years and years in the Westend? Thanks for passing on the award but I will pass too...no time these days for any extra thinking too busy being the family driver now that MIL has no licence and SIL is on meds so can't drive herself to the doctors appts :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wear hats, I hate slimy food too and have the same sort of sleep pattern as you! But I'm OK with tunnels, I have to drive through the Mersey Tunnel every a day to get to work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you...I and very happy to accept and will post it on my blog soon
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much Sandra!
    I'm like you with hats. Living where we do I don't let the kids out of the house without them but never wear one myself, thankfully I have very thick hair and tend to stay out of the sun as much as possible. When we loved in Scotland I always just has cold ears!
    Sandra x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry I missed this post!!!
    I am happy to be tagged, and will defs be doing this!!!!
    Thanks heaps for tagging me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, could you please delete this, I had your blog Just so, and another bog called just me left up on my screen, and somehow I mixed up the comments, and puts hers on yours........so sorry!!
      In my defence, its very early in the morning here, and I am very tired!!!!!!!

      Delete
  8. My post to you was meant to say thank you so much for giving me the award, and I found your facts really interesting!!!
    So sorry again about the above comment mix up- I maybe need to go back to bed :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love to read your thoughts.