Wednesday 15 May 2013

crochet addiction...

I am kind of at that point with crochet when I know I should stop. You can have too many cushion covers and blankets. (Really, in a house as small as mine, you can...) There's even a bit of me that is, dare I say it, a little bit bored with it. I seem to have a never ending stock of the same colours, that I never quite use up and no imagination or money to go and splurge on anything new.

So, I've had a little branch out and revisited dressmaking - spurred on, in part at least, by the Sewing Bee on the television recently. I hadn't done any sewing, other than curtains, for ages so have enjoyed fiddling around with that. Will save the results of my efforts for another day - have the finishing touches to do and haven't taken any pics yet! But the trouble with sewing is that it sort of takes over - I don't have anywhere I can leave the sewing machine set up so it has to sit on the only table we have. Which means I either have to pack it away (fatal! the sewing in question disappears into the cupboard never to see the light of day again!) or we have to eat off our knees until I'm done. (which is exactly what has happened this time!) 

Which brings me back to crochet. Easy to pick up and put down. Easy to do in front of the radio/TV. Doesn't involve rearranging our dining table. But more granny squares or blankets without good cause...? And then I  picked up a magazine in a little newsagents in Cromer whilst trying to kill time a couple of weeks ago. I can't remember the name of the magazine (and I'm writing this in bed and too lazy to go and look just now) but it is full of ideas. Lots of vintage-esque stuff - granny blankets etc but a few other things that made me want to get the hook out again!

Like this...


I hadn't seen a pattern like this before and thought it looked interesting. Once you get going its quite a pleasing rhythm of treble clusters and double crochet on one row, double crochet and a stitch called 'cluster stitch' on the next row, which make these little wheels.


I think the bag is really cute, especially lined with a pretty fabric print, but in all honesty I'm not sure its something I'd use. I guess it would make a good yarn/WIP bag but don't really need that either. So at the moment I can't decide whether to make it into a bag. I didn't have enough of two colours so it was back to the usual stash and a rainbow of colours.


Its making quite a thick fabric with a nice bit of a texture. 


Might end up being another cushion cover... Or should I go with the bag idea...? Can't decide for the moment. Going to go with the flow and see what comes out.

One last photo. Nothing to do with crochet. Blossom...


Well... you have to don't you. Because its May... and its pretty... and because this is on a very special little tree that is in the garden that won't belong to me at all soon. And because I wanted to add this photo to my memories on here. No other reason needed.

Sx



5 comments:

  1. Hi Sandra, I love your cluster stitch project. The dressmaking sounds interesting but I here you about how much it takes over....I used to sew a lot but crochet, and latterly drawing, are very portable and unobtrusive .
    Look forward to seeing your finished projects...and the blossom is beautiful.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should try the bag, it looks great, pretty flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colours, really cheerful and happy. Wish I could crochet like that :-)

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to see crochet here on Blogs because I have no idea how to do it !

    Beautiful blossom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful crochet! The pattern looks complicated but that's part of the beauty of crochet.. It can look really complicated but just be a cluster of triple crochets :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love to read your thoughts.